Sweet Potato Casserole
By Dina Boyer
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about ½ inch wide
3 large crisp apples, peeled, cored and cut into half-moon slices
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp of each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
½ cup raisins
½ tsp sea salt
1 Tb of butter & ¼ cup of brandy!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush some olive oil on a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex dish. Layer the sweet potatoes and apples alternating in the dish.
2. In a small bowl mix the rest of the ingredients together, allowing the raisins to soak for 5- 10 min. Pour the mix over the potatoes and apples.
3. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until desired consistency, approximately 1- ½ hrs. Makes 12 servings.
Tomato & Cucumber Salad
1 cup diced cucumber, 1 cup diced fresh tomato
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup diced red onion, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and refrigerate until slightly chilled, 10-15 min
Add additional ingredients as you wish to create your own specialty.
Quinoa with Chickpeas and Spinach
From Glorious Greens
1 cup quinoa
1 cup water and ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped & 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup cooked chickpeas (or canned, GMO free, drained & rinsed)
1 ½ lbs of spinach leaves, washed, and chopped ( about 6 cups)
½ cup raisins
½ tsp cinnamon and sea salt to taste
Zest from 2 oranges and ¼ cup pine nuts, optional
1. In a medium pot bring water and OJ to a boil. Add Quinoa, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10-15 min, until all liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add raisins, chickpeas and spinach. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until spinach has wilted.
3. Adjust heat if necessary. Drain any excess water after cooking the spinach.
4. Combine the vegetables into the quinoa. Season with salt, cinnamon and pine nuts. Serves 4.
Nutrition: 426 cal, 11 g fat, 1.2 of sat. fat, 19 g Sugar, 12.2 g Protein, 512 mg Sodium, 9g Fiber